Tuesday 8 October 2013

Trevor Morgan discusses his role as an interviewer

For most of the 35 years of my professional life I have been working on projects in the Information Technology industry. A substantial amount of this work involves research to find out the facts about a business and above all the people who run it or who work for it. You cannot direct or manage a project without having a sound body of knowledge of the facts on the ground and part of my success has been the interview.

My life is now taking a different direction I am not involved in project work so much anymore and I have more time for writing.

I have worked in more than 30 countries with all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds.

I love working with people and whenever I work in a country I do research to find out what makes people tick.

To find out the facts about the working situation and the business it is best to meet the people running the operation and ask them face to face how things operate. The facts should then be written up and verified with the participants.

Interviews depend upon the people and their business so they must be tailored to fit the needs of the interviewee. The one connecting factor is getting to the truth and reporting it faithfully.

When working with Peter Schneiter, a professional photographer, I met him first and got to know him. I already knew a lot about photography from having attended courses. But I still researched my subject.

I then wrote up a set of questions. Peter preferred to answer them in writing, and based upon our face to face contact I agreed. The profession of photography involves people, creativity and technicalities and we both thought the written approach was better. This did not mean that we did not communicate about the answers.

My approach is adaptable, however, other types of professionals prefer face to face interviews and I am more than happy with that. Whichever way is chosen the questions will be based on face to face contact and approval of the answers before anything is published.

The object is to find out about the essence of the people involved and their business or activity.


My aim is to provide readers with the best pen picture possible but in an interesting and concise style.

An example Question and Answer:


           Is there balance between your instinct for photography and what you have learnt?

Instinct, that’s an interesting idea. I suppose I did have a flair for photographing as a child. Taking my first pictures around the age of 8 or 10. Then looking at books and other peoples pictures and finding out how they created theses pictures. The learning process would have taken my natural talents higher, focusing their beam onto getting the most out of situations and equipment.

See more at::

No comments:

Post a Comment